Bioaerosoler er mikroskopiske luftbårne partikler (aerosoler) af biologisk oprindelse eller egentlig luftbåren mikroskopisk liv. Eksempler på bioaerosoler er plantepollen, bakteriesporer, svampesporer og algesporer.
Visse bioaerosoler i atmosfæren (kan) reagere med visse stoffer og bliver hygroskopiske og er med til at danne skyer og tåge. Det viser sig at mange landplanter danner store mængder af bioaerosolen isopren og visse udbredte planktonarter danner store mængder af bioaerosolen dimethylsulfid.
- Vinni Mona Hansen: "Human exposure to bioaerosols including airborne microbial pest control agents in vegetable production" ISBN 978-87-7611-370-4
- Penn State. (2004, May 6). Missing Chemical Important To Air Pollution Estimates. ScienceDaily Citat: "..."We think we measured all major components of the hydroxyl radical reactants, but there is something still unaccounted for,” says Brune. "We know that something we cannot identify is reacting with the hydroxyl radicals and we know it is temperature dependent and not light dependent. We just do not know what it is."..."
- Max Planck Society. (2004, February 26). Astonishing Discovery Over The Amazonian Rain Forest. ScienceDaily Citat: "...An international team of scientists from the Max Planck Institute of Chemistry, Mainz, Germany, the University of Antwerp, Belgium, the Ghent University, Belgium, and the University of São Paulo, Brazil, examined natural aerosols from the Amazonian rain forest, and has found that they contained two previously unknown compounds, which are photooxidation products of isoprene. These compounds are hygroscopic and could impact cloud formation, rainfall and climate...This discovery is a breakthrough because for the first time a link can be demonstrated between isoprene emitted by forest vegetation and formation of water soluble fine particles..."
- California Institute of Technology (2009, August 7). Organic Carbon Compounds Emitted By Trees Affect Air Quality. ScienceDaily Citat: "..."The king emitters are oaks," Wennberg says. "And the isoprene they emit is one of the reasons that the Smoky Mountains appear smoky."..."And isoprene only comes from plants. They make hundreds of millions of tons of this chemical...for reasons that we still do not fully understand."..."
- Carnegie Mellon University. (2014, May 15). Emissions from forests influence very first stage of cloud formation. ScienceDaily Citat: "...This new study uncovers an indispensable ingredient to the long sought-after cloud formation recipe -- highly oxidized organic compounds..."It turns out that sulfuric acid and these oxidized organic compounds are unusually attracted to each other. This remarkably strong association may be a big part of why organics are really drawn to sulfuric acid under modern polluted conditions," Donahue said...The fine-tuned model not only predicted nucleation rates more accurately but also predicted the increases and decreases of nucleation observed in field experiments over the course of a year, especially for measurements near forests. This latter test is a strong confirmation of the fundamental role of emissions from forests in the very first stage of cloud formation, and that the new work may have succeeded in modeling that influence..."
- NOAA: Oceanic Dimethylsulfide (DMS) and Climate Citat: "...Oceanic DMS emissions account for 15% of the total global sulfur emissons of 3.2 Tg S/year..."
- Emission: Climate Control by Marine Algae? (Released November 2003) Citat: "...DMS has a significant impact on the Earth's climate. Plankton production of DMS and its escape to the atmosphere is believed to be one of the mechanisms by which the biota can regulate the climate..."
- Netherlands Organization For Scientific Research (2004, November 24). Plankton Cool The Southern Hemisphere. ScienceDaily Citat: "...the plankton species in the southern hemisphere produce more DMS than their northern counterparts. Also in the southern hemisphere there is a higher DMS flux from the sea...The effects of the DMS production by plankton are particularly noticeable at a regional level..."